Eating Out in Japan in a middle of a Pandemic

 




Some of you may be wondering how I can still eat out and put out content despite the current circumstances. So I think it will be good to give a more comprehensive idea on what it is like over here in Japan. At the same time, this is also a guide for the Japan-based foreign residents out here. But before we go into where things are, it should be vital to see where things were. 


A beautiful evening in Tenjin


Despite the first few blunders due to the docking of the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama, and the first few cases in Sapporo, Japan was somehow able to go against the storm. This is because of a few things that are in place. 


Me masking up in a library. If you need that here, it essentially means that you need that everywhere. 


Firstly, it is that the locals already have a custom in wearing face masks, in the event they are ill. It is fairly common to see about 30% of a subway line to be masked before the pandemic hit. If someone has a cold or a cough, wearing a mask seems like an appropriate thing to do as to not infect others. And this is without a government mandate. 


Long term residents will be familiar with this.
This is the schedule of payment for the insurance


Another is an integrated universal healthcare system. Everyone who is a resident is required to get the national health insurance. Even I had to pay about 2000 yen a month. But because of that, people already have their health problems attended to. So this means that there are less people that have been burdened by pre-existing conditions that were not treated yet. This is especially so when there is an aging population. You'd think something like that will wreak havoc, but surprisingly it did not. Don't believe me? Then check this article out. 


Even a mystical lion needs to mask up.
This is a statue in front of Gokoku Shrine.



Also, Japanese are not a "touchy" society. The most contact in social settings I see are couples holding hands or parents carrying their younger kids. Handshakes are prevalent, but bowing is more common. Hugs are somehow only confined to family members or very close friends. Although this is just my observation and not based on some professional study, I strongly believe that this is a factor that should not be ignored. Click here if you would like to know more on this cultural norm. A combination of all three factors hence leads to a more controlled environment. Case counts are fairly low. Which now leads to the current situation. 


If you look closely, there are plexiglass barriers between seats. 



A second State of Emergency was declared and is currently under effect. The SOE is not a lockdown but it is a acknowledgement by the federal government that there is a significant danger. In light of this, the federal government recommends an 8pm closing time to all eateries and that booze should not be sold after 7pm. It should be noted that the SOE has no penalties involved. However, as far as my experience has shown me, ALL eating spots have been adhering to these recommendations. So if you realise that I have more lunch posts, you now know why. Eateries also now have created cubicles to separate patrons, made of either cardboard or plexiglass.  In the event that you would like to have a party and easily mingle with your friends during dinner, then a reservation would be more appropriate. I am fortunate that I have friends that know owners of establishments which allow for group dining. With regards to working environment and economic policies, I am afraid I am not a good person to write about this. I am a food writer after all, not a doctor or politician. 


A silent Sunday. 


Be that as it may, we should all be careful regardless of which country you are from. I usually have a mask on, and only taking it off for a moment for eating and drinking. Also, I usually eat out alone when I do my research for the blog. But when dining as a group, I ensure that my party is small. It can be tough for some people who would like to involve all their friends, but this is a small sacrifice in light of current events. 


Despite improving, there are still deaths reported. 
So we are not out of the woods yet. Source: ANN


Not all hope is lost. Despite being slated to end on 7 March 2021, the second SOE has been cut short to 28 February for a few prefectures, including Fukuoka. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am very fortunate that I am in a country that has somehow been able to control the pandemic. And if the situation becomes worse (like the beginning of the second SOE), I will just stay at home until things improve. So wherever you are, please stay safe. I hope that the articles posted will give you at least a window to Japan when travel is not possible. Till then, I will catch you all later. 

Comments

  1. pendamic health and medicines are co related to each other if you want to know about medicines then this website is for you zimetonparaquesirve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Weekly Top Rankings