Yong Tau Fo @ Big Tree Yong Tau Fo, Pasar Pinji, Ipoh




I was not really keen in writing this one, but I guess a mention needs to be made. 


Also, there have been comments from readers  that I need to highlight some less favourable reviews. The logic is that not  just to balance things out with the positives that are my recommendations but also to make some aware of the places that they should avoid, which by right I should. Of course the opinions that I express are my own, and you might enjoy what I dislike. But then if you have decided to take the plunge and test it out, then more power to you. 

Ok now, on with the rest of this article!


Chaos in a queue


When people say food from such and such place is "famous", always treat with caution. One such place was Big Tree or Dai Shu Geok by the Chinese locals that is located at Pasar Pinji, Ipoh. Famous for its yong tau fo ( vegetables and tofu stuffed with fish) many flock the place.The spread is impressive. It has a vast array choices and at an affordable price RM0.95 a piece. 

Selections are set and ready to be eaten. 


And they have a twist to the soup, where laksa is served instead of your usual chicken or seafood stock although they do provide them. After selecting the ones we like, and placing into a basket,  that said basket is put in front of the main counter where they will do the final prep and serve to you later. 

The end result. Note the bowl of laksa at the top left. 



If you are a regular reader of the Gourmand, you would notice that I use the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" often. And this warning is never more true in this one. 


A look closer to the fried pieces


Although the initial first impression was alright, there was more sizzle than steak. The food was unimpressive and lacked character. The fish paste is alright, but thats about it. Its just alright. If some one say it is store bought, I would not be able to tell the difference. The laksa soup is a great change, but then its quite thin. Its spicy, sour and salty. So it does cover the minimum criteria of any laksa. But that goes without saying, like a piece of spicy fried chicken needs to be fried and well, spicy. Felt more like a gimmick than an actual selling point. And the noodles are just smothered with soy sauce. 

I might sound harsh but as being able to sample various yong tau fo stalls around like the stall in Petaling Street, and even having a mother that makes great yong tau fo, I find myself kinda disappointed. Probably not going there again at my own volition.


Front of the house


Anyway, if you would like to have a look see, here is the address:

Off Jalan Pasir Pinji Jalan King, Ipoh 31650, Malaysia

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings